Mr. Friendly Says So
Tuesday, December 26, 2006
  Roundup
Yeah, I am a bad Catholic. Maybe one of my Krazy Katholic readers can clue me in on the origin of the Solemn Mass' proclamation on Christmas:

In the five thousand one hundred and ninety-ninth year of the creation of the world from the time when God in the beginning created the heavens and the earth;

the two thousand nine hundred and fifty-seventh year after the flood;

the two thousand and fifteenth year from the birth of Abraham;

the one thousand five hundred and tenth year from Moses and the going forth of the people of Israel from Egypt;

the one thousand and thirty-second year from David's being anointed king;

in the sixty-fifth week according to the prophecy of Daniel;

in the one hundred and ninety-fourth Olympiad;

the seven hundred and fifty-second year from the foundation of the city of Rome;

the forty second year of the reign of Octavian Augustus;

the whole world being at peace,

in the sixth age of the world,

Jesus Christ the eternal God and Son of the eternal Father, desiring to sanctify the world by his most merciful coming, being conceived by the Holy Spirit, and nine months having passed since his conception, was born in Bethlehem of Judea of the Virgin Mary, being made flesh.


Even if I don't get an answer, it was still pretty cool. Proclamations are cool! Well, as long as you got something to say. I will not sully the post with "not so cool" proclamations.

Funny thing is I don't remember ever hearing this before. Then in one night, I get it recited, chanted, written. I am feeling good about my proud Church today.

**************************************
My church was packed. It is not a megachurch by any means. It is a small, 200+ year old church in Albany. Check out the website. They crammed in over 1200 people there for the 4:00 vigil on Sunday. Who cares if the congregation was supplemented by the C & E's? At least they participated in a pretty good service.

**************************************
Like Ralphie, my kids got nearly everything they wanted for Christmas. All gripes may be forwarded to the complaint department. That would be the full set of grandparents. With full wallets, of course. All more than happy to, uhm, take care of bidness.

**************************************
I can only con Mrs. F. into having a country ham once a year or so. Christmas was my day. Ooh-la-la Mama Friendly made one the night before. Delectable. Yours truly fired his up on the big day. Can you have too much of a good thing? I don't know. Ask Porky Pig if there is a downside to too much ham.

**************************************
I gotta slip it in because it is wrong. The link refers to a clinical description more popularly known "Partial Birth Abortion." If Catholic employers need to fund contraception and what not, Planned Parenthood and its supporters should be required to view the procedure, in all its glory, every day.

**************************************
Going to be making some changes here. Check out the Albany links. We have some additions.

Upstream is THE Mohawk Valley blog. Dan Weaver shames most others with his writing. Mr. F. says check it out.

Off the Top of My Head is Chris Rooney's blog. The one remaining Niskayuna reader is commanded to read it.

The Judge Report is Amsterdamer(Amsterdamian) Robert Going's blog. I read December and I liked. Seems like a good man. Let him know if you agree.

**************************************
Seriously need to get around to adding some religiousy type stuff. I'll get there...

My problem with some of the Katlick type blogs is the "Top That" type of faith. I really don't care if you know all the holy days of obligation or if you know the difference between the Nicene and Apostolic Creed or how much you just looooooove the "Old Mass." Those issues pale in import to faith, hope, and love. And the God, the Word, and the Spirit that make them all possible.

Don't forget Mary too. Without her and her exercise of free will, we would all be up a creek without a paddle.

***************************************
Hope you had a Merry Christmas.
 
Comments:
Those proclamatings are from the Roman Martyrology. The new edition with revised proclamations came out a couple of years ago. Those you quotes are from the previous edition, I believe.

I hope you had a great Christmas as well.
 
Right, but since when do we proclaim it as part of the vigil?
 
I thought I was Catholic, but I've never heard of that. They didn't do it at our XMas service. We just had a paegent where my kid was a sheep. He really sold it, licking the baby Jesus in the face.
 
Where are you?????
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Voted Best Blog 2006 by the city of Cohoes, NY. Mr. Friendly humbly accepts this honor as he attempts to stamp out retardation in our lifetime.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate NY
Get a hold of Mr. Friendly at: mrfriendlyalb@yahoo.com
LINKS
  • Albany Links
  • Albany Eye
  • Shamus
  • The Judge Report
  • Funniest Newspaperman out there...
  • Howie Carr
  • Bring on the Funny
  • Anonymous Co-worker
  • The Phoenix
  • McBlogger aka Kanadian Korner
  • This bug attracts women by the busload
  • Mad Haiku
  • Shilling Like my name is Ron Popeil
  • BMW Books
  • Wall of Shame
  • Untouchable
  • Experiments in Greater Readership
  • Cohoes
  • My Subcontractors Suck
  • Products That Work
  • ARCHIVES
    January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / February 2007 / July 2007 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / November 2008 / December 2010 /


    Powered by Blogger