Mr. Friendly Says So
Friday, December 15, 2006
  Are we fuggin retarded or what?
Yeah, I know its been a long time, but with Christmas and all, things are slowing down at the salt mine and that means, more bloggin' time.

Yeah, baby! Let's get to it.

The only non-culturally befuddled habib around here steps up today:
NCBHabib: Mr. Friendly, when you calculate someone's age, does the number increment on or after the birthdate?

Restraining oneself from slapping someone silly for asking such a stupid question can really build character.

Me: The day the birthday falls ON! You friggin mo-mo! I imagine in your country, you actually turn five three weeks and a day following your fifth birthday.

He continues.
NCBHabib: Then why would someone (identity redacted because it would cost me my job) who was born on this day, five years ago, have an age of four?

...crickets...

Me: How the fug do I know? Let's look at the code.

So we look at the code, but the problem is there are two versions that supposedly do the same thing, get a list of people and show some characteristics (race, language, AGE!, etc.). MY version calculates the age of the person and is correct.

Always. well, so far.

Then there is the code Habibalala used. The nitwit who wrote it just took the age from the database. i.e. WHAT?!

I laugh.

You're not laughing. Ok, I will explain. There are two different kinds of data. Static data, like for instance a person's birth date. You know, data that will not change relatively often. Then there is Derived data, that is data that should be figured out each and every time you access it because that is a heck of alot easier than updating it every fuggin' year, month, week, day, second.

The only problem with this little model is when some yo-yo confuses the two types.

Guess what my little habibalalas did?

Yes, you are correct, sir!

I fuggin laugh at NCBHabib. He must take the issue up with his fellow subcontinenter who wrote the crap code.

I wish him luck and kick his arse out of my cubicle.
 
Comments:
Why would you put an Age field in a DB if you were not going to use it? Either update it nightly or get it the hell out of the DB so people do not get confused.. I side with the other guy this time Mr. Friendly!
 
Your objection is noted.

We agree that the field should not be there.

People put it in there with, get this, OUT THINKING!

BTW, when do you update the field, before or after midnight?
 
You mean I'm not five years old?
 
"Thinking outside the box" represents creative thinking. Stepping away from the norm to solve difficult problems.

These "robots" apparently can't even find the damn box.
 
mad-
You are correct sir. And if we don't update, you are 5 forever more. Enjoy your juicebox.

Phoenix-
I know Java, I know VB, Cobol, SQL, .NET, Unix, C#, but I don't know my arse from a hole in the ground.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home
Voted Best Blog 2006 by the city of Cohoes, NY. Mr. Friendly humbly accepts this honor as he attempts to stamp out retardation in our lifetime.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate NY
Get a hold of Mr. Friendly at: mrfriendlyalb@yahoo.com
LINKS
  • Albany Links
  • Albany Eye
  • Shamus
  • The Judge Report
  • Funniest Newspaperman out there...
  • Howie Carr
  • Bring on the Funny
  • Anonymous Co-worker
  • The Phoenix
  • McBlogger aka Kanadian Korner
  • This bug attracts women by the busload
  • Mad Haiku
  • Shilling Like my name is Ron Popeil
  • BMW Books
  • Wall of Shame
  • Untouchable
  • Experiments in Greater Readership
  • Cohoes
  • My Subcontractors Suck
  • Products That Work
  • ARCHIVES
    January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / February 2007 / July 2007 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / November 2008 / December 2010 /


    Powered by Blogger