Mr. Friendly Says So
Monday, March 13, 2006
  If You really need a financial guru...
...I will leave my address at the bottom of this post. Why should you trust Mr. Friendly with your financial data, plans, goals? Hell, he can't do much worse of a job than some of the gurus out there.

I am talking to you .Robert Kiyosaki. Tell your Rich Dad that I want to kick him in the arse.

Not that I have a problem with the guy selling a couple of books...

But he is preying on the weak. I, more nobly, make fun of them.

Consider Robert's outlook. He presents the following as truisms:

A 401(k) is not a retirement plan (it's a savings plan).

Bonds aren't safe.

Saving money is risky.

Why mutual funds have such low returns.

What is inflation.

Why workers are taxed more than owners.

Why pensions are disappearing -- legally


Oooookkkkkkk. What are you getting at Bob? I shouldn't save. I especially shouldn't buy bonds or mutual funds. I shouldn't work, I should own. Wait a fuggin' minute, WHAT THE FUG ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT!

Do you mean to say that I should join your tribe?
Go to your, "ahem, Investment Seminars?"
At $3,000 a pop?

Um, no.

Wait a minute, you wrote a book. You wrote 10 books. Where can I get my hands on them?

Before I buy anything, however, what sage bit of wisdom are you offering for free?

Buy gold, silver, oil, and land.

...

Cancel the book order.

It's not that I don't think commodities are not a valuable hedge against dollar devaluing, it's that this guy's advice is inconsequential and late. Buying a Krugerrand every pay day may make sense. Because the long term growth rate of gold is weak, depending on those Krugerrands as my retirement vehicle is just plain STUPID.

I think both of my readers remember the Jimmy Carter days. Remember $850 gold. Remember the next time gold hit $850. Yeah, me neither. Hasn't happened. Silver, until recently, tanked for 20 some odd years too. As did oil, copper, grains, you, fuggin, name, it.

With the exception of the last few years, commodities have sucked the gas pipe. That's part of the reason that stocks and bonds have, generally, done well in that same period. Makes sense right, as input costs decrease, profits rise.

This is not to say that you should NOT make commodities part of the portfolio. Is there room for a few gold eagles in your war chest? Sure, there is. Is now the time to dive in with both feet because Robert "My Rich Dad Says So" Kiyosaki says so?

No Fuggin' Way!

We are all looking for a way to secure a financial future. Individually, we suspect that we have no clue. Well, that may be. BUT...

That doesn't mean we should jump at the first, seemingly, successful huckster says "JUMP!"

Chew on this for a second:
1.) What is Kiyosaki successful at besides selling books?
2.) Why wouldn't he do what he is successful at, real estate or coin collecting, rather than sell his advice?
3.) What is his specific plan? When is the best time to buy gold? Are futures contracts better than physical? Can I invest in a gold ETF?
4.) How do I become successful real estate investor?

I don't think Mr. Rich Dad provides adequate answers.

For that reason Mr. BuyMyBooks gets a big "Thanks but no thanks" from me.

If you would like some sage Real Estate Investing advice, stick with John Reed and William Nickerson. Nickerson wrote a very successful book many moons ago that reduces the real estate plan into:
1.) Save enough for down payment.
2.) Buy rental property.
3.) repeat step 1 and 2.

Or ask theHost or Me. We have some real estate horror stories.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Voted Best Blog 2006 by the city of Cohoes, NY. Mr. Friendly humbly accepts this honor as he attempts to stamp out retardation in our lifetime.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate NY
Get a hold of Mr. Friendly at: mrfriendlyalb@yahoo.com
LINKS
  • Albany Links
  • Albany Eye
  • Shamus
  • The Judge Report
  • Funniest Newspaperman out there...
  • Howie Carr
  • Bring on the Funny
  • Anonymous Co-worker
  • The Phoenix
  • McBlogger aka Kanadian Korner
  • This bug attracts women by the busload
  • Mad Haiku
  • Shilling Like my name is Ron Popeil
  • BMW Books
  • Wall of Shame
  • Untouchable
  • Experiments in Greater Readership
  • Cohoes
  • My Subcontractors Suck
  • Products That Work
  • ARCHIVES
    January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / February 2007 / July 2007 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / November 2008 / December 2010 /


    Powered by Blogger