Mr. Friendly Says So
Tuesday, March 07, 2006
  Entertainment Book Restaurant Review #2 - Luigi's in Schenectady
This week Mrs. Friendly chose Luigi's. Back in the day, we would go there once a week or so. But then, I fell in love with Lombardo's in Albany...

That was that.

Well, wasn't it lucky for the Mrs. that we had a $15 coupon for Luigi's. It just so happens that she was looking for some cheap eggplant and off we go...

into the abyss...

which is known as Schenectady.

I drove distractedly. I was looking for the Bed and Breakfast on Union Ave that also serves as Swinger's site for hearty partying. Mrs. Friendly pointed it out to me. WTF?!!!

So we get to the restaurant and wouldn't you know it, the place is jammed. I remember that this place was in a rather seedy section of the city but it had a fairly respectable group of students/families/geezers that kept it going. Tonight there was some "football" (read drunk retards) dinner, so getting a table might be a chore.

The hostess was confused when we arrived. What do you expect from your octagenarian restaurant help? I think she was the owner's mom. She might have been old but man, she really sold it. What with the feather boa and all...

After I help grandma with the seats (come on, you are going to watch someone old enough to be your grandmother carry a seat to your table), the three of us sit down. Friendly Jr. is a little tired but game. She gets the chicken fingers (natch). Mrs. Friendly orders up some eggplant parm. And me, well, I get some baked ziti (the Sicilian way, whatever that means).

Our meals come with bread and either salad or soup. Mrs. Friendly and I, both leary of local winter raw vegetables, go for the Beef Vegetable soup. Not bad, not bad at all. While enjoying the soup, some tanked "Son of Italy" talks up Jr. Conversation of the night:

Son of Italy (SoN): Are you the boss?
Junior: I am not the boss. Stop talking to me!
SoN: Are you the boss?
etc...


To be honest, I like Junior to be a bit more polite to people. However, this guy was gassed and trying to get Junior's goat, so he had it coming. Eventually, thankfully he drifted away on his own vapor.

The entrees were about a two beer (Heineken) wait. Not too shabby considering there were three waitresses working a room of over 60 (half of whom were pickled). Short story, Eggplant was as good as Mrs. Friendly remembered. The ziti was better than I remembered. Junior loved the french fries that came with her chicken.

Now here is the beauty part. We pass on dessert but show the entertainment card. The waitress tells me to put it away. Check comes back with the $15 discount.

Can anyone say 25% tip?

Overall, Luigi's is a good, cheap, night of Italianzo. It runs second to Lombardo's but, then again, everything does. This is an excellent second choice. It isn't some nouveau Italian, so leave that shat at the door. It is what most of us remember as a family Italian restaurant. Good, cheap food and dependable service. I give it 3 and half entertainment books up. I would have been happy even if they punched my entertainment card.

I skipped my last pick. Will report back when I get the story straight.
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Voted Best Blog 2006 by the city of Cohoes, NY. Mr. Friendly humbly accepts this honor as he attempts to stamp out retardation in our lifetime.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate NY
Get a hold of Mr. Friendly at: mrfriendlyalb@yahoo.com
LINKS
  • Albany Links
  • Albany Eye
  • Shamus
  • The Judge Report
  • Funniest Newspaperman out there...
  • Howie Carr
  • Bring on the Funny
  • Anonymous Co-worker
  • The Phoenix
  • McBlogger aka Kanadian Korner
  • This bug attracts women by the busload
  • Mad Haiku
  • Shilling Like my name is Ron Popeil
  • BMW Books
  • Wall of Shame
  • Untouchable
  • Experiments in Greater Readership
  • Cohoes
  • My Subcontractors Suck
  • Products That Work
  • ARCHIVES
    January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / February 2007 / July 2007 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / November 2008 / December 2010 /


    Powered by Blogger