Mr. Friendly Says So
Tuesday, January 17, 2006
  Home Game Musings
Ranger Smith hosted last night's holiday tourney. As the old saying goes, even a blind chickengets a piece of corn now and then. Yours truly elevated his game to become either the second orthird best player at the home game. Kudos to me!

In the bad beat department, I was a both a punisher and a punishee throughout the night. In the first game, the blinds are starting to hurt me. I think I have less than 7 orbits at this level.In middle position (MP), I get a beautiful pair of 10s and bet out for 3x the big blind (I think that isaround $450). Folds around to WallyBall who goes into the tank. I patiently wait about twenty secondsthen chime in "Put a timer on him." WallyBall waits a beat and chimes in "All In." You f*ckin' b$st$rd!

All right here is my thinking at the time. He has me beat with the one of the four hands which kill me here. Say that is about 60% chance. Also say there is about 40% chance that he has two unpaired face cards. I don't think Wally will push with anything else. I am a little better than 2-1 dog here andWally is giving me a chance to double up plus the blinds. Additionally, I haven't got a lot a time to make a move, so IN WE GO!!!!

Wally shows KK. Flop scores another ten and I am off to the races with Wally's chips.
This looks, smells, and feels like a major suckout. But listen to Mr. Friendly for a second...
1.) These short tournaments with the high blind structures do not give you alot of opportunities to score. You either have to go on a major rush or take some chances. Bluffing through these will not work because there are too many people at the table.
2.) When the blinds represent 1/10 of your stack or more, losing one hand could cripple or knock you out of tourney.
3.) Most importantly, in heads up play, YOU ARE NOT NEARLY AS BAD OFF AS YOU THINK! Remember this: The hammer (72o) is around a 2-1 dog against a random hand heads up. This doesn't mean push the hammer every time but, there are opportunities (hint: first to act preflop against one other opponent?).

I don't know, I could be full of it.

Other highlights:
1.) Mr. Vegas runs the tables in both games. Now there is a man on a tear.
2.) Our lilRicky wakes up to some serious cards and play. He gets second in the second game.
3.) MarkyMark and TheHost chop the side game pot at what, 1 AM. Come on boys, I gotta go to work!
4.) Suckout. Re-Suckout. Cooper and I are heads up twice. First time my tens against her big slick. She rivers an Ace and I double her up. Not before I castigate to the poker gods for her ridiculous play against me, the second or third best player at last night's game. About fifteen minutes later I get AJo in middle position. Cooper raises 3x BB under the gun or thereabouts. I have less than 10X BB at this point (see Wally Ball above), so I am going "All you can eat, Baby!" Instacall from Cooper and she flips - wait - Big Slick again. The jack on the flop was all I needed to deliver the deathblow Re-suckout. Thank you very much. Sorry, I suck, what can I say!
5.) Ranger Smith is telling work stories. As a state park ranger, he sees some wild, wacky stuff. The image of him brandishing the baton while driving after the speeding snowmobilers is classic. I am laughing now.
6.) TheHost goes into the tank for about the tenth time in the first game. I ask him if he is contemplating the Pythagorean Theorem.

Hey, one last thought, do you think the original name of the movie was Bareback Mountain? Mr. Friendly refuses to see this movie UNTIL THE REACH AROUND SCENE IS RETURNED IN ITS ENTIRETY!

I am all about artistic integrity.

Have a happy day!
 
Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home
Voted Best Blog 2006 by the city of Cohoes, NY. Mr. Friendly humbly accepts this honor as he attempts to stamp out retardation in our lifetime.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Upstate NY
Get a hold of Mr. Friendly at: mrfriendlyalb@yahoo.com
LINKS
  • Albany Links
  • Albany Eye
  • Shamus
  • The Judge Report
  • Funniest Newspaperman out there...
  • Howie Carr
  • Bring on the Funny
  • Anonymous Co-worker
  • The Phoenix
  • McBlogger aka Kanadian Korner
  • This bug attracts women by the busload
  • Mad Haiku
  • Shilling Like my name is Ron Popeil
  • BMW Books
  • Wall of Shame
  • Untouchable
  • Experiments in Greater Readership
  • Cohoes
  • My Subcontractors Suck
  • Products That Work
  • ARCHIVES
    January 2006 / February 2006 / March 2006 / April 2006 / May 2006 / June 2006 / July 2006 / August 2006 / September 2006 / October 2006 / November 2006 / December 2006 / February 2007 / July 2007 / February 2008 / March 2008 / April 2008 / June 2008 / July 2008 / August 2008 / November 2008 / December 2010 /


    Powered by Blogger